Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 8 Report 3

Day 8… Sweet, we're getting closer. Last night was intense. We reached
24.4 knots last night and it was cool, but freaky. 24.4 knots is only
about 26.8 MPH, but it's the scariest 26.8 MPH of your life. It's almost
indescribable. You have no seatbelts like a car, you have wind gripping
past your face, it seems like a BMX course with the swaying and bumps of
the waves. Its really a 56 foot surfboard that is being pulled by 2800
sq foot of sail. Twenty –eight hundred!! It seems amazing when you think
about it like that.
Last night was dark. Squalls streamed black through the poor attempt of
a light up sky. Somewhere behind the black and gray swirled clouds there
was a full moon trying to poke through any crack possible. When it was
successful there a stream of light that made one small circle of light
on the big black sea. There were small showers off and on but it wasn't
to bad. The hard part was getting to sleep. Last night was the first
night that I really realized how unforgiving the seas can be. Waves
tossed you in your bunk and if you didn't have the port top bunk then it
was a struggle to get to sleep.
Today was long. We changed time which made my watch an extra hour but
getting to sleep should be easy now. I hope tonight I might get a
glimpse of the moon and stars. I've been talking to Johnny about the
Moleki channel that we will go through hopefully Sunday and it sounds
intense.
Hawaii, here we come
-Ted

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ted!
    It's Elle, your sister. Remember me? Haha, Well I miss you bud! And I'm working with Jonah and Justin and they say to tell you hi! I really can't wait to see you when you get back so you should text me the MOMENT you get service.
    I honestly hope you're having an amazing time! I'll clean your fishbowl for you since I've already been feeding him :)

    Love you teddyyy!
    <3Elle.

    ReplyDelete